Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

DWI


Sunday night my brother was arrested for driving while intoxicated. He hit a bolder on the side of a driveway of a house on the street my parents live on (at 27, he still lives with them, despite a $50k+/yr. job). He was trying to push it up the street when the police arrived. He passed the field sobriety test but refused a breathalyser test.

Monday morning he was arranged in court. Because he refused the breathalyser test his license was automatically suspended for 6 months. He is to return to court for sentencing on April 30th - the Monday after they (my parents and him) return from their trip to St. Marteen.

He works as an union electrical lineman - apprentice 3. It's a great job. He's paid very well and has the opportunity to 'climb the ladder' (pardon the pun) and make a lot of money. Part of his job involves having his CDL license.

Due to his Class C license (reg. driving license) being suspended, his CDL will be revoked and chances are pretty good he will lose his great, new, job.

This is sad on so many levels.

He has a problem - a big problem. This past January his union was called to Missouri to help restore power to the homes there after a big storm. He was gone for 4 weeks. He made $15k for that job. Its been 9 weeks since then and he has $1k of it left, which he had to use to pay back his girlfriend for his bail. He spent it all on alcohol he says. He does not think he has a problem.

I am mad. I'm so mad that alcohol has this control over him. I'm so mad my parents enable him by allowing him to live at their home. I'm so mad that his girlfriend is enabling him by being his 'driver' for the next 6 months. I'm so mad at him! He could have killed someone. If the accident had happened last week, Monday through Friday, at about 5:30 and he went left instead of right when he hit the boulder - he could have hit me, with Arianna in the car.

I'm numb at his irresponsibility. My mother has been in Alcoholics Anonymous for more than 15 years. She tells me its a disease. I can't help but think - no one tells you to pick up the bottle, no one tells you to get in the car and drive. No one tells you to then try to leave the scene of the accident.

I hope he doesn't loose his job, but I hope he gets help and I hope it involves alot of community service and mandatory alcoholics anonymous.

No comments: