Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, June 30, 2008

I thought this was cute...


Most of the comments I hear from people when we talk about homeschooling involve socialization. It seems everyone knows 'someone' who is or was homeschooled and they are social misfits and don't fit in etc. People hold onto this one person as the shining example of the result of homeschooling. Have you ever met a public/private schooled person who would fit that same description of social misfit who doesn't fit it. I've met many more of them than the homeschooling kind.

Truth of it is that socialization and outreach to the community needs to be a priority of the homeschooling parent and its not as hard as you think it is...

As a homeschooling parent you need to be prepared for the critisism and understand that the majority of it comes from ignorance. Don't let anyone else's ignorance dictate how you choose to raise your kids - stand tall and stand up for your kids :)

1 comment:

Emily said...

I was homeschooled for 6 years, and I'm not THAT weird. My first roommate in college told me that homeschoolers were stupid and lazy (the day she told me she was moving out). I only gloated a little when I graduated with higher honors than she did. :-)