Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

It was inevitable

Yesterday Arianna had her 2 year appointment with the ophthalmologist and her vision is still 4.5+ in both eyes. She can't see very far away and when she tries her eyes cross, severely. So it's time...

Her doctor told me that girls handle glasses better (personally I loved my glasses as a little kid) and after about 3 days its no longer a struggle to get them to wear them because they'll see so much better! I hope this is true for Arianna also.

I have some research to do to see which glasses would work best for her. I'd love some words of wisdom from any parents who have helped a toddler adjust to glasses. My parents were spoiled when I was young and my Dad's vision plan included unlimited glasses - with me making the transition to 'stay at home' mom this fall we won't have ANY extra money and I need to make sure we don't go through glasses like water!

Any advice is surely appreciated! I bet she'll look totally adorable in them!

5 comments:

Lori said...

Jennifer:

There was a great thread about this a month or so ago on preemie blog moms. I think you're a member? Maybe do a search for it.

Sorry about the glasses...but I think she will look cute in them!

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Hey!! Its been awhile since Ive been around....let me know how the glasses go. I hope it all works out and am sure it will. Congrats on 24 weeks!!! YEAH!!! Heres to many more smooth weeks:) Take care....
JEss + 3

Kathryn said...

Ellie got glasses a this last year and we got the Disney ones that come with a little pink case that says Princess on it. The glasses have a rounded loop sort of thing that goes around the ear - this was key. And they are light weight.

I put them on Ellie, and you can see the post on the blog, and she made a face. A face that said, I am going to cry now and her lips started to drop. And at that moment I just said, Ellie you look beautiful in your beautiful glasses. You are so pretty! and she looked at me as if to check and I said it again and finally she smiled and then went on with her day as if nothing new had happened.

She never pulls them off though she does lift them to rub her eyes. She is so cute in them. Also, at first, your optometrist will probably tell you this, but you have to break them into it meaning don't expect them to wear them all day = they have to build up to it. I think we tried 15 minutes a stretch and moved up from there so that in a few days she we wearing them full time.

Good luck with this!

Kathryn said...

Jennifer - that is the cutest story ever! She is such a sweetheart. Looks like she is going to do great with them. I can't wait to see the pics!!!