Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Never ending Night

So we're in a full blown sleep crisis here... for mom and dad. Arianna seems completely unphazed.

She's got a bad cold, again (hopefully we don't end up in the hospital this one). She's snot nosed, wheezing, hacking cough and... up all night! All the times she was in the hospital and the nurses would deep suction her nose they would always comment on the enourmous amount of 'stuff' up there. She sounds like she really needs a good bulb suction - but when I try, nothing comes out, its all WAY back there. I wonder if that would make her a good candidate for adnoid removal when she gets older?

It's so very hard to not get upset when she starts screaming at 2 AM, 20 minutes after you spent 30 min. rocking her to sleep - but last night was especially hard to keep my cool. I did kick hubby out of bed at 3 AM to go rock her back to sleep though. We can't even just let her cry herself back to sleep because eventually she will make herself throw up, and it can happen early in a crying spell or it can happen after 20 min. into a crying spell, we just never know - so when she starts crying we have to get up or risk having to change the crib bedding and give her a bath; both of which are not great options at 2 AM.

So up for the day about 6:30 AM and I warm up a 4 oz. mama milk bottle and kick hubby out of bed to give it to her. I go back to her room to pump and I hear hubby in the living room "Oh man! That's gross!" Yep, she threw up her breakfast, just like she threw up her dinner last night. All over his lap (and mind you, he's dressed for work already, ugh!) and the rug. Ari doesn't seem bothered too badly by throwing up, after its done. She goes right back to babbling. Last night was rough because the throwing up was a result of gagging on all the nasal snot (sorry for the description, it does sound nasty) and it caused a 'wave' of nausea - it took her a little over 10 seconds for everything to come up and she had this look of horror on her face, like she couldn't breathe. Eventually the vomitting stopped and she gargled and started screaming. Um, ok, I guess that means not peaches for dessert huh?

So after I finished pumping I went into her closet and grabbed the nebulizer. We had just put it away after her last cold (that landed her in the hospital for a few days) and I really hate to bring it out again. In my mind, its a sign she's a sickly kid - and I want a normal kid... I'm not sure why it bothers me, I used a nebulizer quite a bit as a teen.

But she really does take her nebulizer treatments like a champ, even putting the nozzle in her mouth for most of the treatment. Its really cute.

After the treatment was done (during which I had to wipe her nose no less than 5 times!) she drank the reamining 2 oz. in her bottle and I sat her down to play with toys while I made my breakfast (store brand honey nut cherrieos, with a banana YUM!) and a big cup of tea. She's playing very well and not at all bothered by the coughing (or that fact that her nose is leaking all down her chin... ick). She's getting a bit fussy and I hope that means she'll go down for a nap soon.

She was to go to the audiologist for another hearing test and I was to go to the chiropractor for more work on my neck - well, I'm cancelling both. The audiologist I'm sure we'll throw a fit as this is supposed to be a follow up to her horrendous 6 month (adjusted) exam (she had lots of fluid in her ears and they want to check when the fluid is gone), and was supposed to be completed in 4 weeks. Well at 4 weeks she was back in the hospital with this horrible cold that took more than a month to get over. So we rescheduled for 3 weeks later and now I'm cancelling.

Well, I don't care. Her OT and PT tested her receptive understanding and speech and she's ahead - I have no concerns that she can't hear its just the level to which she can hear that is a concern. The audiologist wants to catch problems early so they can get hearing aids ordered or ENT appointments made. Well, I'm not worried about problems - she's obviously processing what she does hear well and I don't plan on her seeing an ENT for possible tube surgery or worse any time soon. (And yes, I know tube surgery is very simple - I just don't want her to go through surgery again).

So this morning we're listening to Yo-Yo Ma's (the cellist): Silk Road Journeys: Beyond the Horizon . When I first heard this CD in a music listening station at a music store I was skeptical as it contains alot of far eastern influence which I find tiring to listen to (it strains my ears) - but I was very pleasantly surprised to really enjoy it. It takes me back to my music appreciation 101 class when I was a music ed major - we listened to alot of far eastern music and I really enjoyed it. Anyway, I think you should check out that CD, I give it 4 stars out of 5 and its very enjoyable.

On the docket for today, since we're inside... laundry, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, dishes. All the usual stuff. I would also like to get some time down in the basement trying to finish unpacking the 'game room'. I never realized just how much scrapbooking stuff I had until I had to unpack it all. I also have to finish a swap I'm in. I seriously doubt I'll be able to finish everything with a sick kid, but I can be hopeful! I'm going to make a new baked macaroni and cheese recipe for dinner and a new chocolate cherry crisp - I hope they turn out good!

So my cup of tea is getting cold and Arianna is starting to pull at the laptop, so I'll leave you with her heiness, in all her grumpy glory:


No comments: