Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Appointment with GI

Yesterday Arianna had her appointment with her GI Doctor. He's really a nice guy, I like working with him so much more than her pediatrician - I think we're going to try finding a new pediatrician for her.

I called the pediatricians office on Friday, faxed over the most up to date list on the drugs folks with Long QT can't take and then spoke with him - told him I wanted to try her on prevacid. His exact words: "So, you want me to hang my neck out to dry if she has a negative reaction to a medication? She'll need the GI folks to do that, I'm not going to do it". I've found his bluntness to be 'refreshing' in the past but this comment was the last, I think. I don't believe he has handled Arianna's failure to thrive seriously enough. My mother has met him on one of Arianna's many hospitalizations and even she is very happy to hear we will try someone new.

Anyway, she's got Prevacid now - we gave her her first dose this morning. We're to continue to fortify all her foods with extra calories (butter, oil, cream, anything high calorie) and continue with the pediasure. She drinks two cans a day and then we give her another sippy cup of regular milk. He was surprised that she only drinks 2. I had to chuckle. When Arianna was breastfeed (via bottle, I pumped for 13 months) I used to freak out because all the books said she should be having 30 oz. a day and we were struggling to break 20 oz. She's not thirsty I guess - I don't drink alot of liquids during the day if I don't force myself either.

We go back in a month - if she doesn't gain weight (or an appropriate amount) we're going to be enrolled in the feeding clinic... I hope we don't have to go that route, I have no clue how we're going to be able to do it with me working full time, but we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

So all in all, good news.

No comments: