Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, December 28, 2008

The case for more kids...

Before Arianna came along and before I was skydiving I always told myself I wanted to be 'done' with kids by 30 - that way they were out of the house (hopefully) by the time I was 50/55 and I'd have freedom and still be young enough to enjoy life.

This year I'm 30. I'm not 'done' with kids - but hubby says he is. I'm working on him...

A few weeks back I went to one of my great aunt's 80th birthday parties and enjoyed seeing family you only see at weddings and funerals. After the party was over my dad, his 3 sisters and brother and the multitude of cousins (seriously there are like 30 of them) were all going out to eat. I was a little bummed I couldn't go on account of Daria but even more bummed that when I get to be my dad's age I won't have that opportunity.

I have one brother who now lives in CA. I'm not close with any of my cousins. My husband is an only child. His mother lives in CA and his father is remarried living in WA. My children won't have a large family with which to spend holidays and create special memories around those times.

This makes me really sad. On my dad's side there are 16 cousins - sadly I'm not close with any of them. There are 5 kids in my dad's generation. My mother has 3 kids in hers although we don't talk to her family. The thought of stopping now with 2 kids distresses me.

In a way its foolish to try to recreate what I miss from my childhood in my children's but isn't that a great opportunity to do so?

When Arianna decided to come as early as she did I was a little sad in that we probably wouldn't have more kids if we'd have similar results. When I was pregnant with Daria I told myself that if I couldn't carry to 34 weeks we wouldn't try again. We made it to 36 weeks but would have made it longer if they didn't remove my cerclage when they did. So now that I've had a successful pregnancy I want more... as many as 2 more. I've joked about having lots of kids and hubby has joked about not risking a 3rd for a boy and end up with 3 girls. I know I can get #3 out of him in a little more than 2 years but how about #4?

So much for being done at 30! Maybe I'll push to 35 now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be the Duggars! Just... don't.

As for more kids, my mother recommends you look into becoming a daycare provider. The girls will have kids to play with all day, you can work out of the home, but you won't have to pay for five college tuitions. It's a thought.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am new to your blog. I had twins at 26 wks and now am afraid I'm pregnant again (will take a test when I muster up the courage). I can relate to wanting more children, but I always thought I would adopt them. I can't bare the thought of another pregnancy, but I am encouraged by your story.