Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, December 14, 2008

I just want to kick myself...

Today I ordered $175 worth of photography prints from the lab. These include the fabulous pictures you see below. Problem is that when I edited them they weren't edited using the colorscape for my newly calibrated computer monitor. So the color will be ALL WRONG (such as the Arianna picture below, its way too blue). What's even worse is that this includes our 'christmas card' picture that goes out with our newsletter every year. And in the newsletter I mention how I'm looking to build a portfolio for a possible photography business and hey, look at the great pictures I took in the studio I rented... but what they see will be a very poor representation of my work/talent... all because I didn't set up my color in photoshop. Lovely.

I'm so mad at myself because I can't tell you how much work I've been putting into my photography these last few months and getting into the studio (now 3 seperate sessions) has really popped my work up to another level and I finally feel like my hard work is paying off... and I feel I can finally show people... and now this.

So anyway - I've put off doing this for a few months because I wasn't sure I was ready for the criticism, but I think I'm ready now. So... introducing... one of the first shoots of my photography business. I'll be spending most of 2009 'portfolio building' (aka. practicing on willing participants). My focus will be child and family portraits, everything from maternity to HS Seniors and more.

The only way I can get better is to get feedback from people. I want to know if this is something you like or something you would purchase if this was your own family (instead of mine LOL). If I don't know what people want, I don't know what style to shoot.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're lovely shots. And even the "blue" picture of Arianna looks fine. I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but the white looks very pure and I think it's pretty.

From what I understand (admittedly, not much), the hardest part of studio photography is getting little kids to do what you want. I mean, when people pay for a studio, they're going for a specific, very posed "look." Personally, I prefer candid shots that are taken in the wild, as it were, but I'm sure I'll like studio shots when I have a family. So, for instance, in the whole family shot, you'd want Shawn to prop Daria up a little. And for the purpose of your portfolio you'd probably want to play with sepia, black and white, and soft focus. Just so people know with you, they're getting options.

Laura said...

i love the pictures of your lovely family.
for me the best portraits seem to come from someone who has or makes a connection with the subjects so i think it is wise for you to seek out willing subjects. i look forward to seeing more of your work.
i do hope that you can make a way to include some premie portraiture in your portfolio. if anyone can make a connection there you can.