Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I let her down

I'm a hypocrite.

Last week I brought Misty, my beautiful cat, to the animal rescue league. I had snapped. She's a beautiful cat and very affectionate, but she has a bad habit. She urinates on blankets, clothes, fabric when she feels her litter box isn't perfect. We just bought new litter boxes and she hated them. Last Wednesday afternoon I'm working with Daria on some tummy time and Misty pees on the blanket right in front of her face. I didn't hesitate to throw her into a cat carrier and drive 40 min. to the rescue league. She was obviously distraught in the carrier and confused when we got there.

I cried the entire time. This is not me - I rescue cats, I don't send them away to live in a cage and possibly get put to sleep. Misty is a lovely cat, so affectionate and loveable. But I want to be able to open my bedroom door again. I want to be able to put Arianna to bed and ensure that her blankets don't smell like cat pee. I don't want Daria to be crawling in cat pee. I know I did the right thing but its very hard.

I had tried for a few weeks to find a rescue that would take her but everyone was full. I even put an ad in the local paper. Of course someone called about her two days after I brought her to the rescue league. The rescue league even gave me a number to call to check up on her but I can't call for some reason. I hope she's ok but I know there's a good possibility she isn't. A cat that urinates inappropriately isn't a prime adoption candidate and she's probably freaking out in a tiny cage - can't say I blame her. I just wan to believe in my heart/head that she's doing ok there and will be adopted soon.

But for some reason I can't stop thinking in the back of my mind how I could have avoided this and could have ensured her safety better. I feel like I failed her and that makes me so sad. I really did love so much about my Misty kitty and even typing this has me in tears again. I just can't put up with my house smelling like cat pee so often.

Worst part is that TiSan our male cat obviously misses her alot - he spent a few days moaning around the house and he's much more aggresive about his needs for attention now. I feel sad for him too, he had fun with Misty.

Last week my camera club chose this picture of Misty to send to a regional competition... it was very bittersweet news for me.

I know I'll look back at this situation and know I did the correct thing but right now it hurts. Bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry Jen. That must be heartbreaking. But you're right, the kids have to come first. My sympathies.

Lori said...

Oh Jen. I totally get what you are thinking. We faced this issue with our oldest cat about a year and a half ago. He was only 3 1/2 but acted like an old cat. We have two others a brother and sister who were only 2 at the time. The older cat, Chip, started that when Aidan began walking. We were also trying to sell our house.

Not good. I tried medications, closing doors, you name it. Nothing worked. Ultimately I called our vet who told me he would rehome him for me with an older couple with no kids and no other pets.

And Chip did great. It was very sad for me, but ultimately I couldn't have kept him in that environment.

You did a hard thing, but you ultimately did the right thing. But it doesn't make it sting any less.

Hugs.

Jennifer said...

Thanks guys!

It is really hard...

I think what makes it worse is a little more than 2 years ago we had to do the same thing for our cat Katrina, for the same reason, only this time it was Arianna who was the baby. Luckily that time the rescue we adopted her from took her back, unlike this time.

We've decided we just can't do cats that were previously stray cats and no used to a house with other cats.

Unfortunately TiSan is getting older - he's 13 and in a few years we'll have no cats around and that makes me even more sad as we've had him for almost 7 years now.