Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Friday, February 08, 2008

What is it...

...about a temper tantrum that turns your view of your perfect child into one of 'oh my god, get me out of here!'

I think we've hit the 'terrible twos' about a month early. Everything is an excuse for Arianna to erupt into tears... not just tears but sobs with hyperventilating. It's quite pathetic actually. Yesterday I wouldn't let her into the pantry to play with my spice bottles - she's recently learned how to open them and dump them on the cats (my poor fur babies put up with so much). Being blocked out of the pantry was cause for an eruption and she slapped me in the face!! That ended with her in her crib (she didn't nap well, maybe she was tired). About 30 minutes later she was very quiet and I hear "mama! mama! wowry! mama! mama!".

That's enough to melt your heart I tell ya! How is it after 30 minutes she realized she did something wrong and had to say sorry? It's so darn cute you can't stay mad!

Our time out routine includes saying sorry afterwards - guess its rubbing off. I like her new independence and am glad she's going to daycare full time soon - its a good time for her to get more interaction.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow...I feel you on this one.

Perhaps you can take consolation in the fact that this is part of "normal" parenting as opposed to all of the preemie stuff we have dealt with? :-)

Aidan and I have been doing a lot more "clashing" lately. He has decided it is time to throw a fit (even if it is a mini one) over anything that doesn't go his way. We have done a couple of timeouts. I will take him to his bed, explain what he did wrong, and tell him he can come out of his room when he is sorry.

He has emerged both times in about 2-3 minutes after I hear him arguing/talking to himself and comes right up to me and says, "Mama, I sorry."

Too cute. I tell him I love him, we hug, and he is back to being the very essence of cuteness. Until the next time we don't see eye to eye. ;-)