Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Friday, February 01, 2008

Smack us while we're down why don't ya!

You can't NOT take a job offer if it's the only one you've got. That would be stupid.

But, so far, the only offer my husband has had for work has been for $20,000 less than what his level of experience and the area we live in dictates (and even that number is still very conservative). Yes, you read that right. The offer came on the same day he interviewed for a very small software company around the corner, practically, from our house. The owner promises bonus' and an increase in salary by September but we know that the only thing 'guaranteed' in a new job is the starting salary and the starting salary is a joke for someone with nearly 10 years of great experience.

I feel very ungrateful that I'm so upset about the turn in events here. I should just be happy that he doesn't have to file for unemployment.

We told our nanny, Sarah, of the possibility of Shawn being out of work in a few weeks - more out of courtesy than anything. We really didn't feel that we would have to say goodbye to her as Shawn was getting SO many interviews.

Last night he accepted this new position, to start 2/18, and shortly thereafter Sarah called to tell us that she got her dream job and would be leaving us in two weeks. She's a nursing student, graduating with her AS degree in May. She wants to be an OB/Gyn nurse and found an office that will allow her to work part time AND offer tuition reimbursement for her to continue for her RN. She's stupid to not take it. I'm sad... crushed actually. Arianna LOVES Sarah. We LOVE Sarah. She was going to be my life line this summer when I'm sure to be on bedrest.

Shawn is still interviewing and the owner of the company where he accepted the offer would be foolish to not realize that he will still be looking. The salary is low and she wouldn't budge despite two attempts to negotiate.

Maybe my mood will increase if I can start feeling like a normal person again... but that's AT LEAST a month away. At least I haven't vomitted in a few days. The sad part of morning sickness as opposed to 'regular' sickness is that vomitting doesn't make you feel better... at all.

2 comments:

WeeOnesMommy said...

Oh Jen,
When it rains it pours.. Believe me I know... We've had our fair share of mishaps these past 2 weeks with things happing we didn't expect and then costing a fortune to fix or mend. From our cat to the cars and all in between.. And I am still out of work til March 24th with NO PAY!!

However hang in there, the one thing I can say is things always seem to fall into place and work out.. Too bad I didn't live closer, i could hang out with Arianna while you did what you needed to and she could play with Aiden..
Maybe next yr..

Good Luck with your appt today.. I'm waiting eagerly to hear from ya..

talk to you soon
Jessie

PS when I do move closer we are putting aside one day a week to scrapbook!!! (i can dream right) maybe one day a month but let me enjoy the thought of one day a week for now...
ha ha

Jennifer said...

Oh Jess - I would love that!! Seriously, Arianna and Aiden would probably have a blast playing together while we get to scrapbook. My scrapbooking room is directly next to what will be the play room soon (hopefully). I'm in a serious rut as far as SB goes too... I have a weekend scrap retreat to go to in NH in April and I haven't even started planning for it!