Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Medical Incompetence

I'm fuming!

I think I deal with medical incompetence on a far higher average than most people.

We were supposed to get a phone call today telling us what time we had to be at the hospital for Arianna ear tube surgery.

3 o'clock comes around and no phone call. So I called the number on the piece of paper given to me by the surgery coordinator at the ENT office. That number happens to be the children's OR admitting office. I called and told them who I was and why I was calling. They looked in their computer to see what time she was scheduled.

SHE WASN'T SCHEDULED!

Um... what the hell...

So I call the surgery coordinator at the ENTs office and get her voicemail - leaving a message.

...Spend the next 45 minutes spitting nails...

Finally get a call from the coordinator that tells me that Dr. McRae is not available (it better not be for a vacation!) and Dr. 'so&so' is doing the surgery so thats why the OR couldn't find her.

Ok, so you switch doctors on us and don't tell me? I haven't even met this guy. It's not like I had met Dr. McRae either though - we were in his office for all of 3 minutes. I don't appreciate not be notified of this problem, but I am glad she's still scheduled. We have to be at the hospital for 7 AM.

Tomorrow is not going to be fun!

3 comments:

Laura said...

ugh!
on one hand I would cancel because it is your right and you should have been informed. otoh, i know how long you have waited and how hard you have tried to keep the girl healthy for this.
good luck. let them (the surgeon) know your disappointemtn and trepidation after not being informed but temper your disappointment as this guy is the surgeon and all.
i would begin to compose a strongly worded letter for after the surgery. this kind of practice is most definitely unacceptable.
good luck!

Jennifer said...

Good idea!

Jessica said...

Good luck with the tube surgery! I know they made all the difference for my Isaac...