Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Friday, June 15, 2007

Soon to be scheduled!


I received a letter in the mail from CVS pharmacy (the pharmacy we use) a few weeks ago. They said my pulmicort inhaler was being discontinued. I've been using pulmicort for 10 years. Its the only steroidal inhaler I can use.

Because of my long qt syndrome I can't take fast acting inhalers (such as albuterol) due to its epinephrine like qualities - its too much of a stimulant to the heart and can make me more vulnerable to arrhythmias - theoretically. So I rely heavily on steroidal inhalers to keep me out of danger. Earlier this year I had a serious asthma attack that left me using my daughters nebulizer (something I haven't used since I was 14) and wondering if we should go to the emergency room.

So now I need to find a new inhaler.

But that means I also need to find a new doctor as I haven't been followed for my asthma for a while - it was well controlled prior to becoming pregnant. As luck would have it I found someone and got a quick appointment. Its an allergy and asthma doctor, but thats ok. They did allergy testing, again and found I'm still allergic to dust mites - big deal. More importantly he found me a steroidal inhaler and a 'sort of' fast acting inhaler that I can take with my Long qt syndrome. I got a nasal spray to help with my stuffy nose too. Ya!

Yesterday I had the follow up appointment with my new orthopedic surgeron. I explained my history and he agreed I need surgery and we can do it as soon as I want to.

Due to Arianna's rough spring I had to take alot of time from work and have -10 hours of personal time so I won't have a vacation day until the end of July. Thankfully this surgeon does surgery on Fridays so I'll only need that one day.

So today I sent a letter to my old orthopedic surgeon requesting that my record be transfered and I'm following it up with a letter that says this:

Dr. DiGiovanni:

You conducted a fasciotomy on my right calf for exertional compartment syndrome in August 2004. I was to have the surgery done on my left calf the following year. The following year I became un-expectantly pregnant. You would not do my surgery while I was pregnant so I waited.

I had an appointment at your North Main Street office at 11:30 AM on June 7th , which I had made 6 weeks prior. I live in Cumberland and had to hire a babysitter for 4 hours to watch my daughter while I drove the 45 minutes into Providence, to your office. The babysitter cost me $30. I accidentally left my wallet on my kitchen table. I arrived at your office and realized my wallet was still at home. I told your receptionist that I did not have my wallet but would be happy to mail a check when I returned home. She gave me paperwork to fill out while she went to talk to you. When I returned with the paperwork your receptionist told me that you would not see me if I did not pay my $10 co-pay. I pleaded with her that I had paid for a sitter, drove 45 minutes to the appointment, and that this was basically an appointment to schedule surgery - as it was a ‘sure thing’. She simply told me that you had made the decision not to see me because I did not have my $10 co-pay and there was nothing she could do. She offered to reschedule the appointment, which may have been another 6 weeks into the future. I was stunned. I told her that I did not want to reschedule, I would make an appointment with another surgeon – which I did, for the very same day!

I have never been turned away from a doctors appointment because I did not have my $10 co-pay. If your business so heavily relies on a $10 co-pay then it is obvious that my choice to go to another doctor was the correct one. Despite explaining the situation and my offer to mail a check I was still refused – this policy is not appropriate in my situation as my appointment was to schedule a surgery. I would require only two appointments, one before the surgery and one after. The surgery would have netted you a large sum of money from my insurance company, which you have now lost. I am surprised you would not see me after all the grief that was caused during my pregnancy but I am very glad that I am now seeing someone else!

Your policy is damaging and dangerous to patient care and you and your staff should change this policy immediately, you should be ashamed!


I'm carbon copying his office manager and the department of health. To say that I'm steamed would be an understatement.

But at least my leg will be taken care of now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son was on pulmicort through his nebulizer but they switched him to a Flo Vent inhaler... can you take it?

http://www.gw-flovent.com/