Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

6 years ago today...


About one hour ago, 6 years ago, I was in my bosses office at Cumberland Farms Corporate Office being laid off. I would leave his office ready to pack up my desk when someone from another office came in saying a plane had hit the World Trade Center in New York.

I remember thinking "I should just leave"... then the news said another plane hit and then the pentagon was attacked. People from the office were leaving to get their kids out of school but as our office neighbored Boston (and the city evacuated) the traffic made it so you couldn't leave.

I honestly thought we were under attack. I had dreams of Empire of the Sun in my head...

Are we any better prepared now?

When I worked at Rhode Island Hospital I worked (in one of my many capacities) as the assistant to the director of emergency preparedness. He was also a state senator (who passed major fire law reform for the state) and one of the EMTs that responded to the Station Night Club fire. He was called to New York city in 2004 for a meeting with the city government to help them be better prepared for another 9/11.

3 years later and they still had no idea how to be better prepared for something of that magnitude.

I have a feeling not much has changed since then, and thats sad.

No comments: