Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

D-Day...


Finally!

After they attempted to reschedule it on Monday... I finally had my surgery today.

I got there at 8:30 and had the pre-requisite blood work (and pregnancy test, which was thankfully negative, as expected) and then was ushered into the back for other pre-op testing etc. From the moment I got there I was impressed with The Miriam Hospital. I had my other fasciotomy in 2004 at Rhode Island Hospital and was not impressed by any means - they didn't even give me crutches to go home with!

Miriam Hospital is a Magnet award winner for the nursing staff and it was very evident. I have NEVER had an IV that didn't have to be replaced multiple times. When my ICD was originally placed I went through 9 IVs. Next time I'm getting a PICC line - not kidding. Anyway, my blood work, one shot. My IV - one shot! I was in awe of this place!

Any way, they wanted an EKG due to my defibrillator and they had a new 'high tech' machine and all the nurses wanted to figure out how to use it. I had many apologetic nurses in my little curtained off area but they wanted to see it 'in action'. I have no problem with medical curiosity surrounding me. Long QT Syndrome is so rare and I've had so many bad experiences with medical people not fully understanding the severity of it that I welcome questions (I'm very informed, kinda geeky like that). They were great, made light of much of the commotion and I welcomed the levity.

My interval was 420 - normal (anything under 460 in woman is normal - I average 540 and have been as long as 650). Odd, as I've never had a normal one outside of pregnancy/breastfeeding. No complaints from me though as they didn't need a reason to not do my surgery.

At 10:30 I was given something 'to relax' me... which my mom joked would put me right to sleep - but it didn't and I was able to get myself to the surgery suite and onto the table without any problems. I didn't have much time to look around before a mask was shoved on my face and I was gone.

Woke up an hour later all bandaged up leaving the surgery suite. My leg already hurt. Last time it didn't hurt until I got home. Last time I wasn't given general anesthetic though - it was all local which I think provided a nice pain 'block'. I slept a bit in recovery, then got some pain medication, drank some soda and sat in a chair for a while.

We left about 1:15 and drove directly to Subway for a veggie sub - I was starving. Mom was nice enough to pick it up for me and drop off my vicodin prescription. We got back to the house and I hobbled on my crutches down the walkway to the porch. I tripped over the top step and fell HARD on my hip and legs. All I could do was scream - dang that hurt. Thankfully the ice pack I had strapped to my leg padded the sutures some what but my other leg, hip and face didn't fare as well. I have a huge gash on my other ankle (which ironically hurts more than my surgery leg now), a big bruise on my hip and a sore cheekbone. I crawled into the house while my mom sobbed - she was so mad she couldn't help me (she's got a really bad back).

I haven't moved from the recliner since - whenever I do Arianna screams at the sight of my crutches.

This hurts a lot more than I remember it. Shawn is being a big trooper helping out - so much so that he'll be doing a transport for 3 cats in Siamese Rescue this weekend that I signed up for yet conveniently forgot about the whole 'not able to drive' part (oops!). I've got a great hubby :)

I'll be camping out here for the next 4 days - so expect lots of blog posts!

No comments: