Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Preemie Magazine shuts down


Dear Preemie Magazine Subscribers:

Preemie Communications, Inc., the parent company of Preemie Magazine,
regrets to inform you that the company has officially shut down and is
undergoing bankruptcy proceedings.

This is an unfortunate outcome for such a promising community, but a
necessary one due to the inability to attract new owners/investors to
cover expenses and debts. The company is truly saddened by this turn of
events, but would like to thank you, as a subscriber, for helping us
fulfill our mission in educating so many parents and professionals in
the preemie community over the last two years.

Respectfully,

Preemie Magazine/Preemie Communications, Inc.


I was not surprised to hear this after PreemieCON was canceled due to lack of interest. I think this magazine COULD do alot of good and the articles were very informative. I had been receiving it for a while and saw the shift slowly change when the March of Dimes became a sponsor. I find much of the MOD message is to push their 'miracle preemie' agenda and not show enough attention/support to those who didn't have the 'miracle preemie' experience, but I didn't feel it was enough to entirely undermine this magazine. It was also heavily backed by Pediatrix - a PUBLICLY traded company that has a large hand in many NICUs around the country. I have big issues with that because I've learned that some NICUs will do anything for money - even at the determinant of the preemies/families involved - so to see a publicly traded company gamble with the lives of our children back a magazine like this (thus getting their name 'out there') well... disturbing...

I'm sad to see it go because it was one of the only magazines that brought alot of the issues forward into 'close to mainstream' and was the only support for many families.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I was wondering why the magazine just stopped coming. I google preemie magazine and your blog came up. How sad, I have two preemies, 2 1/2 year old and 7 mo.

Anonymous said...

What a "HUGE" loss to the preemie community that Preemie Magazine is no longer in existence!! It was truly a Godsend and a very educational and informative magazine for the parents of preemies!! It was the first of its kind and was very much needed and appreciated in the preemie community!! Like my husband and I, I'm sure that many parents of preemies that received this truly amazing magazine will dearly miss it!!

Anonymous said...

I am so saddened by this. I assumed my subscription expired at the 2-yr mark. I am also the mom of two preemies, a 6yro and a 2yro... 34wks and 30wks respectively. This magazine was the ONLY thing that made me feel like I was a part of a community that shared my experience. You know the one- not bringing baby home, never getting to recover from childbirth, never knowing what it is like to have a baby in your room at the hospital, nursing issues due to lack of understanding within NICU's regarding forced bottle feedings to enable discharge. There is now a HUGE void in the preemie community. What a tragedy for all POP's.

Anonymous said...

I recently moved and wanted to reactivate my subscription and find out there is no longer a Preemie Magazine! How truly sad! It really helped me get through rough times when my twins were born at 24 weeks and especially when one of my boys passed and the other was seriously sick in the NICU. It was a greater help when I finally brought my micropreemie home 4 months later!
I can't believe it won't be around to help more parents of preemie's to be.

Nicky Schmidt said...

As the mother of a 26 week old preemie, now one year old, I was saddened to see that Preemie Magazine was shut down. My husband and I were so starved for information that addressed our issues in the NICU and after, and to see that one of the excellent sources was shut down was disheartening.

We recently founded a charitable organization called The Baby Alex Foundation, named for our son Alex, who suffered severe brain damage at birth due to his low birth weight. We are currently preparing articles and other resources for this site, which should be fully functional by December 2008. We are launching our 2008 fund raising drive, to raise money for pediatric brain injury research.

To view our site, visit www.babyalexfoundation.com, and please, post us a note on our blog!

Nicole Schmidt
CEO The Baby Alex Foundation

Anonymous said...

Like many of you I was very much saddened to hear the mag was no more. I have a 3 year old preemie who was born at 23 weeks. Does anyone know of another support system in place or is anyone interested in communicating online with others to share experiences, challenges, and /or solutions? I will check the Blog to see if there is enough interest.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]