Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Playing Russian Roulette with God

This is a sore subject for me and I've put off writing about it for many months - actually before I ever started this blog this was a sore subject for me.

Recently there have been comments at The Preemie Experiment that hint at resuscitation limits on micro-preemies. The comments don't come right out and say it, but its implied and the subject is danced around... a lot.

This is a hard subject, as a parent, to even think about, but parents of preemies or those affected by prematurity understand it well.

Do you set a limit on when you would allow your child to be 'saved' by the medical establishment?

I do. My husband and I have spent many nights talking about this.

I first brought it up a year ago when I came across the story of a 30-weeker who was suffering greatly from an IVH resulting from his premature birth. An MRI at age 3 was so bad the doctors said they were shocked he was alive. At 5 years old he was in a vegetative state and did not know anyone, suffered daily seizures that were getting worse and was breathing and eating artificially. His parents made the decision (with doctor support) to withhold his food in an effort to end his suffering - a la Terry Schiavo. It took him 4 weeks to pass away.

His parents divorced a year after his birth when he was first transferred to a rehabilitation nursery/hospital. His mother couldn't work as taking care of him required all her time/effort so they lived in subsidized housing. She got all her clothes from Goodwill and relied on her church for handouts. She had no real friends because her time was so focused on her son (despite 24/7 nursing care). She was attempting to go back to school but the night classes were taking a long time. She had essentially lost her identity.

The story I read about this family was heart breaking. His parents attempted to withdraw life support systems from their boy when he was 2 weeks old but due to his gestational age the hospital took temporary custody of him and barred the family from making any decisions about his care. The courts stepped in and 'saved' the boy. The doctors stepped in and 'saved' him to live a life dependent on machines with no brain left to use.

His parents regained control when he was 10 months old but by that time he was stable enough to be transferred to another hospital and life as they knew it would be turned upside down, again.

His mother said, time and time again that the aggravation they felt for themselves was nothing compared to the aggravation they felt for their son. By the time he was 2 he had undergone 17 surgeries, by the time his death came about he had undergone more than 30. His mother said she hated holding her son while watching him go through a 30 minute seizure or filling his feeding pump only for him to rip out the tubing and have it go EVERYWHERE but into him, where it belonged.

Where is the fairness in condemning a boy and family to a life consisting of this? At what point does someone get to say 'Enough!'?

In 1950 my grandmother gave birth to her first child, a boy, prematurely. I'm not sure how much because she never talked about it and no one asked. His name was Richard but he was called Dicky. Dicky was 4 years old when my mother was born, followed 2 years later by my twin uncles. When Dicky was 6 he was institutionalized.

Dicky was a 60 lb newborn at that point. He couldn't walk or talk and had, what my grandmother called, 'fits' on a daily basis. My grandfather suffered from mental illness and spent the majority of my mothers childhood as a guinea pig for many of the medications now in use (and not in use) to treat mental illness and as such was absent from their lives. Although they never divorced, my grandparents were never 'married' and my grandfathers death in 1988 was a relief to my grandmother. My grandmother had no help and had to institutionalize Dicky.

They visited him twice my mother said. At age 21 he choked on food (chicken bone?) and died. My grandmother, to the day she died, never talked about Dicky.

I saw pictures of him - he looked just like my brother when my brother was a baby, cute little brown curls and round cheeks.

A few years ago I went to my grandmother's family reunion. I knew nothing of these people - I had only met one of them once in my life. My mother had little to do with them also but my grandmother had recently gone into a nursing home and we wanted to get in touch with everyone.

I met a bunch of really nice people. My grandmother, as it turns out, was the oldest of 10 children. Her mother died of breast cancer when she was young and her father died at the kitchen table of a severe asthma attack when she was a teenager. The 'state' took the four youngest and a cousin moved in with my grandmother to help her raise the rest. She had, essentially, raised children since she was one herself.

At the cookout I heard her sisters/brothers talk about how rough my grandmother had it when trying to get help for Dicky when he was very young. I'm glad I'm born in the time I am now because there is much more help now for struggling mothers. It helped put her life/trials into perspective for me.

When Arianna was born, rather when I was in labor with her I remember a resident in the ER telling me, 'It'll be ok...' and I looked at her point blank and said 'Of course it will be ok, I'm a preemie myself - she'll be fine!'

I'm a preemie and dealt with delivering a preemie myself yet I was not aware, at the time, of all the dangers of being born prematurely. Just after she came home from the hospital (and then back to the PICU) I started doing some research and came across the 'prematurity secret' (at least thats what it seemed like to me) - its not all 'teeny tiny babies who grow up to be fine'. There are a lot of preemies severely affected by their births and with the prematurity rate rising as much as it is, yet the severity of its impact not declining, thats really scary!

Last fall we made a conscious decision. If we decide to have another child we do not want to use medical intervention to keep me pregnant if delivery is imminent prior to 26 weeks. How will we do this? I don't know how (or if!) just yet, but I'm terrified. I sat in my OBs office just a few weeks ago and cried so hard she couldn't understand me when I talked about trying again. The worst part was when she told me I may not have say in what happens in the delivery room.

Parents are not allowed that say:
The Baby Doe Law or Baby Doe Amendment is the name of an amendment to the Child Abuse Law passed in 1984 that sets forth specific criteria and guidelines for the treatment of seriously ill and/or disabled newborns.

The Baby Doe Law mandates that states receiving federal money for child abuse programs develop procedures to report medical neglect, which the law defines as the withholding of treatment unless a baby is irreversibly comatose or the treatment is "virtually futile" in terms of the newborn's survival. Concerns about a child's quality of life, which are often the primary factors in deciding to withhold medical treatment from premature infants, are no longer seen as valid reasons for withholding medical care.

The law came about as a result of several widely publicized cases involving the deaths of handicapped newborns that resulted from withheld medical treatment. The primary case was a 1982 incident involving "Baby Doe" a Bloomington, Indiana baby with Down syndrome whose parents declined surgery to correct a blocked intestine, leading to the baby's death. The Surgeon General of the U.S. at the time of this incident, C.Everett Koop, argued the child was denied treatment not because the treatment was risky but rather because the child was mentally retarded. Koop commented publicly that he disagreed with such withholding of treatment.
Is that right? I don't think so. Many parents want everything to be tried to save their children, whatever the outcome, and I wish I could share that. But knowing all that can happen and the suffering they could go through... I can't. Does this mean we should close up the baby shop? Yes, I think it does. No, I don't think so. It's like Russian Roulette. Who wants to play?

Does this mean we are unfit parents? Does this mean we don't have unconditional love? What is unconditional love in regards to the parent of a preemie?

Knowing my support unit, the history of my family and stories of other preemies we don't feel we are able to survive as a family if we had a micro preemie with severe problems... It makes me so very sad to post this and I know even in the preemie community I have no support - after all many preemies 'turn out just fine', but many also do not. I think you hear more about those that 'made it' than those who don't and that's too bad.

Why do some parents test for birth defects when pregnant? How often are those families chastised when they make the decision to end the pregnancy as a result? More often than not, people 'understand', right?

Why does the decision to have a child have to include such decision as: "Shall we get divorced?", "Shall we lose half our income?", "Shall we lose all our friends?", "Shall we give up going out together on a date night or on a vacation?", "Shall we give up any thought of retirement?". These are all realities for a lot of families with severely affected preemies - and thats just the parents side.

How about "Shall we try surgery again?", "Shall we try to get the lift in the house for junior? He's too heavy for me to carry", "Shall we try putting him in a group home now?"... Why do ANY parents have to think of ANY of these things?!

There are far to many families who suffer life long from prematurity and we, as a married, devoted couple feel we can not... Knowing my reaction to stress, we know I can't.

Why not see how they do and then make the decision? Because many times that decision is taken away from parents! (I'll have to dig up the exact lawsuits in the literature so I don't have them to post here)

The decision to have a child should be a happy one and instead we are terrified and ashamed.

7 comments:

abby said...

I totally understand where you are coming from here...we have one of the really good outcomes, all things considered, for a 23 weeker (we also have one of the bad outcomes, for our other 23 weeker). Hallie is doing so well...beyond what all of her doctors and nurses believed she would do. And still she is not just a tiny baby born too early: she has severe issues that take all of our energy and land us in more fights (stress induced) than anyone can possibly appreciate if they have never been there themselves. Would we intervene to save our girls again if this is what was asked of us? Absolutely. Do I want to be in that position again in my life? You better believe not. So it's a hard call. Right now I say that, if we are brave or crazy enough to try this again, and something goes wrong, I am not sure what I would do. I suspect it would come down to another emotional decision, but with Hallie in our lives (and we are oh so grateful for her in our lives, problems and all), it's no longer just going to be us that we need to consider.

It's funny: I am resolutely pro choice and had no question what I would have wanted to do had we presented with an ultrasound or tests or what have you that suggested that our baby was disabled beyond the point of having a reasonable chance at a meaningful life. But when faced with the same decision when birth is imminent, and not knowing what the quality of life of our babies would be, the decision was very, very different.

I guess all this is to say that I think this is too complex of a position to place a parent who is in emotional distress. I hope that we can do something to prevent microprematurity so that no parents have to go off and make the same decisions we had to.

Laura said...

well i have seen and lived it on both sides yet my opinion is colored by another experience...when my 8 year old daughter was hit by a a flat bed big rig hauling an earth mover as it traveled at about 35 mph. for a very long night we weren't sure if we were facing life with a child with a traumatic brain injury that would leave her in a vegetative state or what? this is what the neurologist told us. so do you walk away then? i guess that is why bill and i made the choice not to walk away from a 24 weeker who vigorously cried at his birth. the sperm and egg donor, on the other hand did walk away. but i accept that they aren't like us. nevertheless the fact remained that this baby was alive and fu=ighting to continue to live and he desperately needed a family in his corner. we chose to be that family. really that is the only thing different about me, and abby and you. still i defy anyone to look at my son and tell me that we made a mistake. i couldn't have possibly predicted the outcome we have and i certainly wasn't expecting it. but i could not walk away.
i can tell you from a professional standpoint that sometimes even the fat, full term babies end up with anomalies and morbitities that put parents in the same tragic shoes of the micropreemies. you just never know even with all the technology and means to insure a perfect outcome. the thing we all often forget that there is no such thing as a perfect child except in the eyes of his/her mother and father.
abby had a great point when she wrote about making decisions like that when a parent is in huge emotional distress. i can tell you as the bearer of bad news is no arent really truly hears what we tell them. it is too much to process in such a short time especially when you hear that heart beat on the monitor....i know i didn't when faced with a potential preterm delivery at 26 weeks and i am supposed to be a professional. so is the answer to tell them earlier, preconception? well before one gets pregnant and even before a pregnancy becomes complicated most parents don't want to think about such bad things. they ignore it, block it out and shrug saying that won't happen to them.
where i practice we do allow parents to decide 24 weeks or less. i have attended a few deliveries where we "allow natural death". it's hard. just as hard as keeping a baby alive with bilateral grade IV bleeds because the parents refuse to hear the grim outcome and withdraw support. just like abby said, there are no hard, fast rules that us mortals (no, not gods) must work with and live with.
...just like parenting.

good lord does any of this make sense?

23wktwinsmommy said...

I am at the same place as Abby. Having two amazing 23 weekers, who are doing quite well, makes it so difficult for me to think about what I'd do next time if GOD FORBID this were to happen to us again.
The reason I got defensive on PE about the unconditional love thing is because I felt like it was an insult to parents who HAD opted to resuscitate. As if parents who were willing to automatically "let go" loved their child MORE because they were willing to sacrifice their child's life to save them from potential suffering. I actually agree with Helen that parents who opt to resuscitate and who opt not to resuscitate are both doing it out of love. I just don't want to minimize the unconditional love it takes to parent a child with special needs.
I think keeping an open mind about continuing care or not is something that I can live with. But it is sooo hard for me to think about just not trying, especially now knowing that my children survived. But it's even harder now because I have to take S&E's best interests into account, and I have TWO 23 weekers already, and although they are doing well, we all know they are a lot of work and nothing is changing about that any time soon.

I was really touched by Laura's comment. I think sometimes...imagine if I had chose not to resuscitate? I would be missing out on ALL of this. The smiles, the laughter, their reaching out to grab me, the cuddles, the holding hands, the pride on their faces when they accomplish something new. Imagine those who opted not to resuscitate at 23 weeks and read my blog or Abby's? Even though our kids have issues and aren't "perfect" I don't think anyone can deny the love and happiness that our children bring to our lives. But perhaps people push these examples out of their minds and say they are the few lucky ones and think about the child they know who is severely affected and this helps them feel better about their decision. I just don't know. That decision must be so hard.
All I know is I am demanding a damn cerclage, and as much as I love twins, I pray I have a singleton.

Jennifer said...

Thanks guys - I'm very surprised at the comments. Last time I brought this up, on a parents of preemies internet forum, I was compared to Satan and told such things as: "You are the last person who should be reproducing".

In all actuality I know that if the time to make that decision is forced upon us I doubt I will be able to be so steadfast in my decision, but it comforts me slightly to at least be thinking about it now.

And please, never think anything/one can undermine the love of a parent to a child, special needs or not - you don't need validation from anyone for that.

Emily said...

This is a very interesting topic to me. I have to say (and I think you already know this) if in the situation of having a 24 weeker again I would without a doubt do everything I could to save my child. Sometimes I think we got off easy. I have, statistically speaking, a severely disabled child. But he isn't at all what he looks like on paper. We were encouraged to discontinue life support in the NICU. We were told that our son would be in a vegatative state IF he survived. He did survive, but he's deaf-blind and has some pretty significant feeding issues. He's also very much a normal two year old. I was not given the choice of whether to resuscitate Noah, although I suppose I could've refused the C-section and had us both die. I was however, given the choice to continue his life (or not). He most certainly would've died if we signed a DNR and at one point I had a doctor who had just succeeded with chest compressions on my son ask me "Should I put him back on the vent or would you like to hold him?" I can't imagine choosing to have my child die. I also can't imagine dealing with another 6 months of NICU terror, another two winters locked in the house, another child who spends more time at doctors' offices than playgrounds. How do I deal with that? Birth control. And yet some days I want another baby so bad! But I know that for me unless I'm comfortable with any outcome I can't have another baby. When it comes down to it I know that I can't choose to let my baby die. I hope that that's a situation that none of us ever have to deal with again.

ThePreemie Experiment said...

Jennifer wrote: "Last time I brought this up, on a parents of preemies internet forum, I was compared to Satan and told such things as: "You are the last person who should be reproducing"."

Ah yes, Jennifer, and it was me who backed you up on that forum. I never then went on to another on line support group and bashed you. I saw your message today.

When someone types a comment on a blog, they may be feeling one emotion, and mean no ill will towards that person. But, the person receiving the message may read it in a different manner than intended. One thing leads to another, and everyone is slinging mud.


23wktwins'mommy wrote: "The reason I got defensive on PE about the unconditional love thing is because I felt like it was an insult to parents who HAD opted to resuscitate."

I have never said this, go back and read. Never. *I* was the one who chose to save Paige, even after being told all of the possible outcomes. I loved my daughter from the day of conception.

But, I also do believe parents who choose comfort care also have unconditional love.

Unknown said...

This is the first time I've visited your blog, and I must say, you have done a fantastic job of summing up the issues, the gut-wrenching issues that we have faced as preemie parents, as well as the legal and ethical issues surrounding preemie care. Wonderful. You could have been writing about my life with my daughter, or my best friend's situation with her daughter - preemie, feeding issues, opted to stop treatment at 12 years old. You're right it such a secret. But one that must be discussed openly. Thank you for having the courage to do so.