Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, November 26, 2007

Reunion Recap

Here's me with one of my classmates

So Saturday night was my reunion. Saturday afternoon I drove Arianna to my parents home so my father and I could go to the lumber yard and pick out the chair rail and baseboard to finish the kitchen. After that we drove to Target so they could pick up some baby gates and we did lunch at Chili's. Arianna was 'taken out' by 2 different waiters because she wouldn't actually sit and eat with us - she had to roam around and it was the job of myself or either of my parents to make sure she didn't bother folks (but in the process she was mowed down by two unwittingly waiters). She was darn cute! She had a piece of her grilled cheese sandwhich in her hand and she'd walk around aimlessly before walking up to random person shout "HI!" and try to hand her sandwich to them... most people were good but one older couple was seriously annoyed that Ari kept walking around. It was much better than the screaming she was doing from her highchair, so we let her walk around.

I was home by 3:30 PM and had to get ready. I felt like I was going to a wedding - I never ever wear makeup and had to hunt for my 'bag of war paint' and find a suitable outfit to wear. Then into the shower to clean up and shave EVERY single hair off my body (why was that? Are people going to see me naked?). By 6:45 I was ready. I sat down and had dinner (big piece of blueberry pie w/ ice cream - real diet conscience huh?). Then we put Arianna to bed and I drove to the ATM and to my friend Megan's house.

6 years ago we lived with Megan and her now husband in their house, which at the time was 5 different apartments. We stayed there for 2 years before we moved to Providence and got our HUGE (in comparison) apartment. I arrived to find they had just finished what would be their dining room and Paul had just put in a really nice inlaid wood floor - it was nice. Then they told me they may be selling their house! I was surprised because I know how much work they've put into it but a developer may be buying up a bunch of the homes in her immediate area and putting in a strip mall or the like. I hope they get lots of money because their lot is really nice and they have a small garden area and HUGE in-ground pool.

Our friend Erika joined us and we drove to the restaurant. Our friend Karen met us in the parking lot and we bravely went inside. We were, surprisingly, one of the first people there - we checked in, said hello to some folks that had the nerve to look at us and went to put down our coats. This was going to be a multi-drink night.

It seriously took 2 drinks before I could talk to people. After the first one someone came up to me and said hello. I had no clue who she was. Turns out she'd had two kids and lost about 100 lbs. I really didn't recognize her. I wasn't friends with her in high school. It didn't take long before we were chatting up our kids and somehow the conversation twisted into her telling me about her really bad choice in guys and how she lived in a shelter and how she got beat up by her ex-boyfriend... way too much information, I barely knew her. I felt bad but it was obvious she wanted someone to talk to about it - it just wasn't going to be me.

After 4 drinks I ventured out of my 'comfort zone' and said hello to more people. After 5 drinks someone spilled my wine all over me (and my friend Karen). After 6 drinks the night was nearly over, we were starving and it was time to say goodbye. 5 hours, 6 drinks. Not too bad actually and none of us were unable to drive. We drove to dunkin donuts, at 1:30 AM and had flat bread sandwiches. I got home at 2:30 AM, dove into bed (make up, wine stained clothes and all) and got up at 8:30 AM. I don't think I got out of my PJs on Sunday... completely shocked at the lack of a hangover.

It amazes me that all the cliques were still there. I think I was only asked by 2 people what I was doing for work or where I was living - no one really asked those questions. As it turns out most of my classmates are single or still in grad-school. I think it was somewhere around drink 6 that I got to talk to one of my classmates who is doing post grad work in clinical psychology and works at a psychiatric hospital my mother frequents - for some reason I felt the need to give her a big hug and say thank you for all she does. My mom spends a lot of time in those types of hospitals and I doubt she's ever met my friend, but... I think the wine made me do it. I'm slightly ashamed of it now.

The music was way too loud. One of my classmates works as a DJ and he played everything super loud - so much so that I felt we had to scream to talk to people. The food stunk - there was almost NOTHING to eat. Everyone congregated around the bar - must be a sign huh?

Although I'm glad I went I didn't meet anyone I would like to keep in touch with. It was something to do but I doubt I would do it again any time soon - another 10 years sounds about right.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Sounds about right;)