Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Audiology and Early Intervention



Arianna had her follow up hearing exam on Thursday. During the exam they put the kids in a 'sound booth' (seated on moms lap) and put special headphones on them. One audiologist sits outside the booth and speaks into a microphone that goes to the kids earphones and one sits in front of the kid and shows them toys to keep their attention. Then a sound is made and a box with a moving toy lights up to see how they react to it. Arianna did well this time, down to 30 dbs. Which is normal speaking range. They want to see her down to 15 dbs. which would be a whisper. As usual her tymph-ography? was flat meaning she has a ton of fuid in her ears. Poor kid has had a stuffy head for months - usually resulting in an ear infection (but none since we pulled her out of daycare), so they mentioned tubes again... and I'm not sure why I'm so reluctant. No, I do know why I'm so reluctant - its surgery and it involves punturing my daughters eardrum (which could result in damaged hearing), two things I don't want happening to her. We have never given Arianna any medicine of any kind, but when she goes to her pediatrician next week I think we're going to ask for a decongestant - we have to try something, I really want to avoid surgery.

Her early intervention caseworker came by later in the day and I was all excited to show her how Arianna was so much more mobile than the month previous. Crawling, somewhat, backwards and walking with support. She did notice that Arianna drags her right foot into place though - I attributed it to the shoes she was wearing but she's continued to do that. I am hoping its just something that will go away as she gets more used to walking. Her caseworker, Wendy, is still looking for a physical therapist for Arianna, I guess this office doesn't have any 'in house' and they contract with the hospital in the area - no, not the children's hopsital (the logical guess), but a local general hospital; and you have to go there for the sessions. Not too condusive to a working mother huh? Especially when its in the opposite direction of the house from her daycare and my work. So I hope we can avoid having to do PT at all...

No comments: