Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Spring has Sprung?


It is surprisingly warm and sunny today - 63 degrees! I took advantage and dressed Arianna up real warm and we went for a walk around the neighborhood.

This was quite the change from yesterday where we got 3" of rain. When I pulled into the development I noticed a fire truck at one of the first homes on the road - they were pumping out the 'lake' that formed in their backyard. I got home and we were making dinner and I went downstairs to get the container of anti-bacterial wipes so I could wash down her high chair. I left them on the scrapbook table. So I head down stairs and turn into the 'game room'. Its a great big room with a nice new black carpet and its where the cedar closet, my scrapbooking area and Shawn road and radio stuff is - this is an important room... which was flooded. The carpet was soaked. I was making splish splash sounds as I walked... and I was pissed. Thankfully it was only a 5 x 5 foot area of the carpet, but still... now we would have to pull up the carpet and there may be untold damage!

I immediately got Shawn and we moved the remaining moving boxes out of that area. And I called my dad to see what we could do. He told me to check my homeowners policy and to bring the dehumidifier into that room and that he would be over with a 'shop vac' tomorrow.

The homeowners policy doesn't cover water damage in any form... figures! We left the dehumidifer running all night and there wasn't any change so the shop vac came in handy. My dad took a look around the house and told us that the down spout for the gutters is close to the foundation and with all the rain its possible that it flooded the foundation. There is a window near where the leak happened so that probably the culprit. We're heading to Home Depot tomorrow to get some sealant for a big crack we found leading from the window - that should be fun, digging out the front flower beds - and an extension for the downspout and new padding for the carpet. Luckily its vinyl tile under the carpet so we'll be able to clean up all the water pretty easily.

Gosh, I love being a homeowner!

Shawn is working on replacing the electrical recepticles today with a friend - we really don't want to use those outlet covers. I nearly took off a fingernail trying to get them off at a friends house. The new outlets are 'kid proof'. They accept regular plugs but nothing else... its expensive to replace them all but I think it'll be worth it.

Tomorrow we decided to splurge $20 and go out to lunch with some friends at Wrights Farm. We haven't been there in ages so I'm looking forward to it. Its 'all you can eat' salad, chicken, fries and pasta - if I load up on the chicken and salad I should be ok for my 'diet'.

So tomorrow it'll hit a new high of... 32... no wonder everyone is sick. Arianna goes to grandma and grandpas tomorrow while we go out. I'm just to scared to bring her anywhere - especially as her cold seem to be getting better. Still watching her nose though - its still dripping and if it starts to drain green she's probably got another ear infection, but we've got our fingers crossed she manages to miss it this time.

No comments: