Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Replacement Parents


My parents are so generous with us. They watch Arianna whenever we ask and my mother watches her 3 days a week while I work (this is the last week as she goes back to daycare on Monday).

Saturday my father took Shawn and I into Dedham to my aunt Donna's sister-in-laws daughters house (did you follow that?) to pick up a new-to-us couch. We loaded it into Dad's truck and brought it home. Its so nice! Its one of those real deep couch's that you can really sink into to. Of course, our siamese cat, TiSan, has claimed it for his very own...

Saturday night Shawn and I were invited to my brother and his girlfriends big birthday celebration. We drove into downtown Boston to have dinner at Maggiano's Little Italy, just outside of Chinatown.

I was skeptical to go as I didn't know most of the 22+ people that would be going and getting into Boston is such a pain to drive into. I thought I had a way out when my mother told me that they had plans... ya, no babysitter, I'll just tell them we can't go. Well, my dad got wind of it and canceled all their plans so they could watch Arianna while we went out to eat.

Going out to eat turned into 'sleeping over' and suddenly we were free and clear. Dinner wasn't until 7:30 so getting out before 9 wasn't going to happen and the weather forecast said snow, it was a good idea, logistically for her to sleep over. But Arianna is still 'iffy' about sleeping through the night. Friday night she got up twice. I'd hate for her to keep my parents, who are already very generous with watching her, up all night.

We were the first people to the restaurant but the rest of the group soon followed. We sat at a long table, my brother and his girlfriend, along with the few people we knew, were seated at our end. The food... my god, the food. Let me just say if you have the chance to get to a Maggiano's - go! Don't ask questions just go in and ask what the wait is (usually 2+ hours, unfortunately). Its bottomless! We had:

Appetizers:
  • Caesar Salad
  • Fried Calamari
  • Fried Mozzarella (to die for!)
Pasta Course
  • Fettuccine Alfredo with Broccoli
  • Spaghetti with monster meatballs
Main Course
  • Chicken Picatta
  • Chicken Parmesan
Dessert
  • Vanilla Ice cream with brandy sauce
  • Tiramisu
Did I mention it was bottomless? As in, you finish it they bring more? Endless supplies? OMG, it was so good and so bad for trying (badly) to watch what I eat.

We had to pay for drinks so the entire night with tip cost us $100, but it was such a nice treat! I had two glasses of Chianti - bad Chianti, but it was so fun! We laughed and had a great time! We joked that the bill would easily top $1,000 - especially with my brother drinking like a fish (yes, he has a serious problem). The total bill came to $999.25 - so close! I almost ordered a soda just to top it off!

We left the restaurant about 10:30 and it took us more than an hour to get home as the snowstorm made driving really horrible. Not that I would know, of course, as I slept most of the way...

But to get home and not have to worry about Arianna was a treat. To wake up whenever we wanted, was a real treat. I was having a friend over to talk scrapbooking with and my parents were planning a traditional Irish boiled dinner so we planned on getting there about noon-ish anyway - so an entire morning of freedom?! We are so lucky. Shawn took the opportunity to rearrange the living room with the new couch and I played with my scrapbooking stuff and entertained my friend Becca.

We get to my parents and they have 'happy baby' giggling (who slept from 8 PM to 8 AM without interruption, by the way!) and dinner done! They're wonder-grandparents as I can't even manage to cook a fast dinner most nights, let alone a big boiled dinner.

Not only that, but they've gotten my daughter to achieve two milestones, and we have yet to get her to do them with us. She will now point and wave, on command - but only to grandpa. Wow... that makes me feel happy that she does them, but I'd love it if she'd do it to us...

This evokes the same type of feelings I had from her being in daycare, its like 'replacement parents'... but getting some 'time off' is nice too!

No comments: