Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, May 14, 2007

Our vacation was so wonderful!


What vacation was that do you ask?

The vacation between colds, of course! From last Wednesday afternoon until Sunday afternoon we were sickness free, which I think is a record for Arianna.

Last night I was up twice giving her breathing treatments and rocking her to sleep. The poor baby was coughing up a storm for a good hour - I bet she didn't sleep at all. She's had a runny nose since Friday but then she always has a runny nose. We didn't think it was an actual cold.

Yesterday, while at my parents, my dad gave Arianna some pineapple - which she wasn't too keen on. By the time we got her home she was asleep and we put her right into her crib, without giving her her night time dose reflux medication. Normally this isn't a problem.

At midnight, quite out of the blue she woke up coughing and didn't stop the rest of the night. Even after breathing treatments and bottles. I was scared for her.

We've had some trouble getting our prescriptions. We switched to a new health plan on May 1, here at my work. The prescription plan takes a little longer than most to 'kick in'. I showed up last week to get her antibiotic for her ear infection and I wasn't in their system so I had to pay cash for her antibiotic: $54.12 - normally a $7 copay. Her Axid is a $50 copay, normally over $300 if paying cash. So we waited until we were sure we had pharmacy coverage before filling her Axid, and yes we went all the way to empty. She had her dose yesterday morning, but nothing last night.

Could her reflux have caused her coughing? When she was younger it did. I know the generally accepted norm for reflux is up to 1 year in age, but I believe thats full term kids. My friend Kathy has a full term 8 week old little boy who's reflux was 100 times worse than Arianna's has ever been. I think Arianna will be on her medication for a while - and no pineapple/tomatoes for her in the near future. Poor kid.

I'm a horrible mom as I still sent her to daycare this morning. I could get fired or at least reprimanded for taking more time, I'm already negative on my personal time (we accrue by pay period here) and since I carry the benefits, we can't really afford this right now.

Ugh...

Shawn did say that she stopped coughing after he got to the pharmacy, picked up the Axid and gave her her dose. I hope it stays that way for a while.

On the plus side we did get her to eat a piece of bread with peanut butter on it - good proteins. I think she liked the 'sticky' feeling too... probably more than actually chewing. Still waiting on those teeth too... any month now!

No comments: